Tuesday, December 19, 2017

The Easiest Dessert Recipe Ever

easy dessert recipe: cherry crunch

Pyrex Baking Dish// Spode Serveware  (less than $20, this set would make a cute Christmas gift!)

I'm not the world's best cook. In the past few years, I've learned a bit and gotten way better, but it is still not something I really enjoy. However, it was necessary I learn how to cook so I could make myself dinners other than ramen and stop Postmate-ing every single night. 

When I have people over, I cook easy things like salmon and when I go to someone's house, I bring a beautiful cheese platter or store-bought dessert. I'm so not a baker in any way shape or form and find no joy in baking. My sister and I are such opposites because she loves to cook and bake and always comes up with the most interesting and delicious dishes. 

Today I wanted to share a dessert for those of you who may be a bit more like me in the cooking/baking department. Since the holiday season is upon us and you are bound to have guests or possibly even have surprise guests, it's nice to have some items in your pantry that you have on hand and can whip up at a moment's notice. 

This recipe for cherry crunch is a special one because my grammie has been making it since I can remember. It's a dessert I grew up on and it is SO delicious. 

I just recently started making it myself because it's truly the easiest recipe. I also love that all of the ingredients are things you can store in your pantry and don't go bad quickly. So you can really have these items tucked away for that crazy moment. 

Here's what you need:
- 1 box yellow cake mix (I just grab whatever brand is on sale)
- 1 stick of butter 
- 1-2 cans of cans of cherry pie filling
- Vanilla Ice Cream

Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 375.

2. Mix the cake mix and softened butter in a bowl until it's 'lumpy'.

3. Pour the cans of cherry pie filling in a clear glass baking dish (I use a 9-inch square or a 2 qt. pyrex baking dish). The reason I say 1-2 cans is that if you use anything different than a 9-inch square, I suggest using 2 cans of filling. 

4. Cover the cherry pie filling evenly with the cake and butter mix.

5. Bake for 40 minutes until the top is golden brown.

6. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.

See? So easy. I haven't tried this yet, but my aunt told me that it's amazing to do this same thing with spice cake mix and apple pie filling. I'm going to try that next and I'll report back!

2 comments:

Lauren said...

That looks and sounds delicious!

Lauren,
http://www.atouchofsoutherngrace.com

Anonymous said...

Haven't tried the dessert recipe yet, Sydney. But, wanted to share I found so many wonderfully well-appreciated last minute gifts based on this post. Thanks so much! -KLV in PHL

 

© Summer Wind Blog 2017 / site design by kiki and co. / disclosure