Friday, November 10, 2017

My Camera and Lenses and Accessories

Camera and lenses for fashion and lifestyle bloggers



lo and sons claremont crossbody camera bag
Products Mentioned in This Post:

I'm *not* a photographer, so this post needs to be taken with a grain of salt. With that said, I have had over 8 years of practice with DSLR cameras so I thought I would share what I use and why I like it.

It's kind of ironic, but the images above were shot on my iPhone because my camera was the subject!


I think my biggest tip for anyone that is looking to get into photography is to practice. I truly believe the more you practice shooting, the better you will get. I also think it's smart to read and watch as much as you can. I constantly watch YouTube tutorials and read photography blogs so I'm able to learn! 

I shoot with Nikon, but there are three other brands that are always on my radar: Canon, Sony, and Leica. I don't necessarily like Nikon better than another brand, but that's what I learned on, so it's easiest for me to continue using Nikon! 

I'm also typically shooting myself or my travels, beauty, etc. So please keep that in mind when you're reading my reviews. A lens that is my favorite may not work for you if you are shooting something completely different! 

Lo and Sons Claremont Camera Crossbody c/o// You guys. I am SO excited to be bringing this bag to Paris. This bag was designed specifically for a DSLR camera. From the outside, it looks like a beautiful leather crossbody bag. But, when you open it up the interior is padded with nylon so your camera is snug and safe. It also has spots for SD cards as well as a zip pocket hidden in the back which is where I'll stow my money, passport, etc. I was struggling to find a bag that would be comfortable to carry and be large enough for my camera and this bag is both of those and more. 

Nikon d610// I got this camera a little over a year ago and I am so glad I did. The quality of my photos from my last camera (Nikon d5000) to the photos from the Nikon d610 is insanely better. I typically think the lens makes all the difference, but my Nikon d5000 had been shot so many times, it was time to replace it. I still have it as a backup (just in case). This camera is full-frame, so it's a bit heavier/bulkier than I would like, but the crispness of the images and the fact that it's easier to shoot in low light are well worth it. The outside of the camera is also 'tough'... it's well-made and high quality, but it doesn't feel fragile, which is really nice. 

Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art// This Sigma lens is THE BEST. I pretty much always use this lens. It produces the most beautiful images that are sharp and clear. I love the way it captures color and the low f1.4 really enables me to have a great blurred background in outfit photos. This also does really well with detail shots. It's just all around a wonderful lens and soooooo worth the money. It makes my life so much easier!

Canon Powershot g7x// There is a newer version of this camera since I bought it a few years ago. But I LOVE this little camera. It's what I use when I don't want to lug around my DSLR. It would be perfect for someone that just wants some really great images but isn't looking to be super professional. There are two specific reasons why I got this camera. The first is that it takes beautiful video and the second is that it shoots so well in low light. So basically this is what I shoot videos on (I'm taking one in Paris!) and also how I get a lot of my restaurant/food photos and nighttime travel shots. This has wifi capability built in, too, so it's awesome for people on the go! 

Nikon 50mm f.18// This was the lens I used most before I got the Sigma lens. It's your classic blogger/portrait lens. This is the lens that ables you to blur the background of your photos and really put you as the clear subject. I definitely think this is a great lens and something you should definitely get if you are just getting into DSLR photography, especially becauase it is so inexpensive!

Nikon 18-55mm// This is zoom lens that came with my first DSLR. It's inexpensive, but I really like it when I am traveling. It is great for getting hotel room shots and landscapes/scenery. You can be really close to your subject and get a lot in the shot. 

Nikon 55-200mm// I rarely ever use this lens. It came as a kit lens with my d5000 and it's honestly not the best, but if you are starting out, this would be a good choice because it's inexpensive. I think it would be useful if you travel a lot or if you go to a lot of sporting events. It has a great zoom, but I just personally prefer fixed lenses. 

UV Filter// This is a really high-quality filter. I'm always hesitant to use one because a poor quality filter can make your images less sharp. However, this one does a really great job of blocking out UV rays (which can sometimes compromise the colors in your photo) and I don't think it has any affect on the actual image. I also like that it serves as protection for the actual lens. 

Camera Sleeve// I use this when I travel. I have a super padded case to store everything, but this camera sleeve is great for traveling when the case is too bulky. I typically keep my camera in this at all times during the week. 

Lens Sleeves// I store my lenses in more padded sleeves at home, but these are really great for travel. They're a thin neoprene so they don't take up much space. I also use the smallest one as a case for my Canon g7x!

Nikon Wireless Adapter// One of the only drawbacks I had with the Nikon d610 is that it doesn't have built-in WiFi capability. So, I had to get this wireless adapter which enables me to transfer the photos from my camera to my phone instantaneously. This is GREAT for traveling. It takes a bit to load, but if I'm out on the beach and just took a photo, I can transfer it to my phone fInstagramram! 

SD Card// I prefer a 64gb SD card. Any bigger (gb-wise) and I feel like I use it for too long and it makes me nervous something will happen to it. They're fragile so I don't like to take my chances. I keep about 6 blank ones on hand at a time. I don't reuse SD cards, either. Once it is full, I use a new one. I like to think of the SD cards as serving an emergency backup.  

Tripod// This was super cheap on Amazon. I don't use it too often. It's not great quality, but it does the trick! 

3 comments:

Renee said...

Love that cross body camera bag! I am studying abroad soon and know this would be perfect for lugging around my DSLR. Great post, Sydney!

Renee | Gimme Glamour

Julie said...

Love this post!

Gold Clutter said...

I'm looking for a camera bag. The Lo & Sons one is made from leather. Do you have any recommendations for a vegan camera bag?

http://www.goldclutter.com

 

© Summer Wind Blog 2017 / site design by kiki and co. / disclosure