Friday, August 4, 2017

A Week at the Lake and How I Recharged



I'm reporting back post-vacation to let you know I successfully unplugged. It felt SO GOOD. I worked only about 1 hr total each day (sometimes not even that) and only actually pulled out my computer twice. 

It felt so refreshing to just ignore everything. At first, when I saw the e-mails piling up, I had anxiety. But I pushed through that. Nothing was pressing, it could all wait.

I didn't wear a stitch of makeup the entire week. In fact my makeup stayed packed as did my hair dryer/curling iron/etc.. I lived in swimsuits and lounge clothes and only brought three pairs of shoes: HavianasJack Rogers, and my Ultra Boost sneakers

I spent time sleeping in, hanging out with family, reading, sunbathing, playing games, swimming, walking, eating, watching movies, and more. It felt a little more like 2005 rather than 2017. 

As much as I love what I do and I love getting dressed up, I love connecting with others on the internet, things get daunting. The monotony of life can set in. Having a very clean, clear break is such a recharger and I could not recommend it more. Even if it is just a day or two.

After I got back, I admit, I was really overwhelmed. This week was tough trying to catch up and I am still not as caught up as I'd like to be. But, it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, I survived and I don't regret a thing! 

Scroll through the photos below to see what I did while in Hiawasee, GA! 



Shorts (run small, size up)// Sneakers (most comfortable sneakers I have ever worn, worth every penny)
One morning we all went to the top of Bell Mountain. It was SUPER hot all week, so even just walking broke a major sweat. At the top, there are stairs you can climb to get to the highest point and then a rock formation you can climb. It's a little scary at some points, but the view of Lake Chatuge is stunning, don't you think?! 

Hiawassee is a very small, rural town in Northern Georgia. There are a lot of gems in this area of the state, but also not a ton of amenities that most larger cities have. One of our stops is lunch at Zaxby's. I look forward to it every year. We don't have one anywhere near Pittsburgh and I just live for their chicken, Zax's sauce, and Texas toast. It's SO good. 


I spent a lot of time down at the dock, in the water, or on the water. I made an effort to do a long swim each day... to the 'point' and back. When you are standing on the dock, it doesn't look too far, but once you are in the water swimming, it becomes a lot farther! It's a great exercise and I did it with Peyton, Taylor, and Jack, so it was fun for us, too! I also went out on the Jet Ski, and enjoyed cocktail cruises. 

Excuse my pajamas, no makeup and wet hair (I told you I wore literally nothing nice at all haha)... but we got a Shotski this year and if you took a shot out of it, you got to sign it. Most people signed it by the end of the trip! I was inspired by one of my girlfriends who has a Penn State shotski at her parent's pool.
We also enjoyed some amazing home cooked meals. Everyone is an amazing cook and since there aren't really many restaurants, we eat in most every night. We had everything from filet, to shrimp, to hot dogs, chicken, and more. Needless to say, I've been hitting the gym a lot this week! 

We watched a ton of movies... Lights Out (it was awful), The Conjuring 2, La La Land, a few Harry Potters, The Gallows. We watched RHONY, Shark Week, and a lot of bad Lifetime movies, too. We all also got addicted to an iPhone game called Dancing Lines. I NEVER play games on my iPhone, and this game is SO hard. It's mesmerizing and totally addicting and frustrating. I ended up deleting it because I got so frustrated haha! 

We also went to Dairy Queen almost every night, which is one of the only ice cream places in town. All the kids pile into my cousin's car and we blast music on the drive. We also played a lot of fun games. We played What Do You Meme, Really Bad Art, Cards Against Humanity, and Speak Out. 

I really just loved the simplicity of everything. You're slightly removed from the rest of the world, and you're with people that matter. It's such a relaxing feeling. But, I am glad to be back. I'm a creature of habit and thrive on routine, so it's nice to be back and getting back into a good groove!

1 comment:

Hilary said...

I can't go 2 weeks without Zaxbys! Love it! I'm a Georgian & feel for those that can't experience it! Also, I have to add that the last few weeks here have been unseasonably mild. I've talked to several people from up north that have been vacationing and they all talk about how unbearable the heat has been. All of us locals are all, 'it's so nice out!'
! 😂😜

 

© Summer Wind Blog 2017 / site design by kiki and co. / disclosure