Tuesday, December 20, 2016

The Hay-Adams Hotel, Washington, D.C. Trip Recap

room photos of the hay-adams hotel in washington d.c.

room photos of the hay-adams hotel in washington d.c.

the hay-adams hotel washington d.c.

the hay-adams hotel room photo

review of my stay at the hay-adams hotel in washington d.c.

hay-adams hotel review washington d.c.

If you've been following along on Instagram and Snapchat, then you'll know that my parents, sister, and I, along with our family friends, headed to Washington D.C. for the weekend! We do this each year around Christmastime and it is so much fun! We started doing this trip when I was in college because it was located so close to James Madison, but then I decided to keep the tradition alive and give the weekend to my family as their Christmas present from me. Spending time with family is better than any other type of gift, in my opinion! The District is usually not very crowded, temperatures are typically mild, and there is so much to do because of the holidays...so it really is a wonderful time to visit.

lobby of Hay-Adams Hotel

We've stayed at many D.C. hotels in the past, and each year we like to try somewhere new! This year, it was The Hay-Adams hotel which is located literally across the street from the White House on 16th Street. You can't really get any better when it comes to location! The tagline is too perfect: 'where nothing is overlooked but the White House'... and it was so true as our room looked directly out to the White House. We actually caught Marine One taking off to take the Obamas to their flight to Hawaii... it was very cool to watch!

  The hotel was absolutely beautiful, especially because it was decked out for Christmas! The lobby was intimate with a few lovely sitting areas and a gorgeous tree! It has a boutique feel as there are just 145 rooms which is nice because you feel very special being there. The staff was always helpful and attentive and went above and beyond. I also loved that you can really feel the history in the building. It was built in 1928 and it was fun to just wander around and take in the details such as the intricate crown mouldings and ceilings! 

Our room was spacious and the toile fabric around the room made me want to move in (not to mention the most comfortable beds). It was decorated exactly to my style and taste... I actually took notes on my phone so I can remember the details and try and copy some of the interior touches in my own home!

bathroom at hay-adams hotel
Another favorite? The marble bathroom (and of course, the toile shower curtain!). Again, I was taking notes because the gold and glass shelving and gold hardware had me swooning! I also loved that they had Etro products and all of the toiletries were done in the Etro paisley. We felt very pampered!

the lox bagel at the Lafayette restaurant at the Hay-Adams hotel

The Lafayette dining room at the Hay-Adams hotel
The Hay-Adams hotel is also home to The Lafayette, which is the main dining room. It's very light and bright and classically decorated with beautiful banquettes and stunning chandeliers. We had an elegant Sunday brunch there! I always judge everywhere I go by the coffee and The Lafayette passed with flying colors... soo good (and so was the food).

They also have a cozy bar in the lower level appropriately named, Off the Record. We went there several times during our stay- the martinis were amazing. My favorite part was that the coasters were illustrated by political cartoonists and can be collected with every visit. I was so excited to have snagged a few as they're a fun memento and a piece of history. 

hay-adams christmas tree
Dad, Callie, Mom and Me in front of the Hay-Adams Christmas tree.

During our trip, we had dinner reservations at two of our very favorite D.C. restaurants: Old Ebbitt Grill and Cafe Milano. Old Ebbitt was a quick walk from The Hay-Adams hotel and is a classic D.C. establishment. We go here every time we are in D.C. because it is so delicious. They're known for their oysters and every time I go, I get the oysters rockefeller to start. I love this dish and order it when restaurants have it available, but Old Ebbitt's are some of the best I've ever had! I also love the old school feel and decor of the Old Ebbitt Grill. Its wood paneled walls and dim lighting make it feel like I've gone back in time. 

Cafe Milano is located in Georgetown right off of Wisconsin Ave. This is another place that has really neat decor (designer scarves framed on the walls) and has an old school vibe! The pastas are incredible and they are named after Italian designers (like Gucci and Prada!). I love their beef carpaccio, too! They have an extensive wine list and I love that the waitstaff are always dressed up. 

All-in-all this trip was a special time spent with my family and our friends. From our lovely stay at The Hay-Adams to all of the amazing food we ate to the beautiful sights we saw, I'm so glad to have been able to make fun memories with my family that I will cherish forever.

Cereal milk ice cream at Milk Bar at City Center DC
Cereal milk ice cream at Milk Bar at City Center.
half smoke and cheese fries at Ben's Chili Bowl on U Street in D.C.
The half-smoke and the cheese fries at Ben's Chili Bowl (on U Street).
Clyde's in Georgetown D.C.
An interior shot of a Georgetown favorite, Clyde's!
the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History.
At the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History.
clyde's georgetown
Mom and Me at Clyde's. 
the washington monument
The Washington Monument.

Mom, Dad, and Callie walking around the National Mall.
chinatown DC
The entrance to Chinatown!

The Shortlist:
Where We Stayed: The Hay-Adams

Where We Ate and Drank: Clyde's, Old Ebbitt Grill, Ben's Chili Bowl, Milk Bar, Cafe Milano, The Lafayette, Off the Record Bar, Woodward Table 

What We Did: Shopped in Georgetown, walked around the National Mall, Smithsonian Museums, Checked out City Center and Chinatown

2 comments:

Unknown said...

How fun! My family does the same type of thing by gifting trips. It's great having those family memories! Your trip to D.C. looks like it was a wonderful time.

xx Kathryn
www.chicandshimmer.com

Chic in Carolina said...

What a fun trip! Looks like y'all had a great time and D.C. at Christmas looks gorgeous!

xoxo,
Katie
chicincarolina.blogspot.com

 

© Summer Wind Blog 2017 / site design by kiki and co. / disclosure