Friday, December 11, 2015

Pittsburgh Ballet Theater's Nutcracker at the Benedum Center

Pittsburgh Ballet Theater's Nutcracker at the Benedum Center

dress for the nutcracker

shoshanna paris dress and chanel bag

shoshanna dress and j.crew pearls

shoshanna paris dress

tuckernuck paris dress

inside the benedum center in pittsburgh pa

shoshanna paris dress for the nutcracker

andys bar at the fairmont pittsburgh

Chanel Bag (similar

I love love love the Christmas season and this year is no different. One of my favorite ways to get into the Christmas spirit is to see the Nutcracker! Something I love about going to the theater? People still dress up ! I know dressing for the workplace has changed as has the dress for many other situations in the past decade or two, but dressing for the theater is still a (very welcome) must! 

I wore this gorgeous dress which has a tastefully cutout back! I am not normally a print person, but this print is equal parts playful and fun. I also love the doses of red and slight doses of green. While not a Christmas dress, it definitely lends itself to the holiday season, that's for sure! 

Luckily, it was super warm that Sunday so I was comfortably able to ditch my tights. I added the red shoes to bring out the red in the dress even more! I think post-Christmas season, I would wear a classic black pump. 

Post-Nutcracker we headed to the Fairmont for bubbly and burgers and made it home just in time for Steelers kickoff. All in all, it was a pretty perfect day! 


 The Pittsburgh Ballet Theater has been performing since 2002. This year it was at the Benedum Center! I've written about the Benedum Center many times in the past when I have attended other programs, but it is such a breathtaking venue. It originally opened as a movie theater in 1928 and was then turned into a venue for concerts and theater productions. 

I was a dancer and also played in the orchestra in high school as well as took piano lessons, so to be able to hear Tchaikovsky's score as well as view the choreography is so wonderful! Not to mention the costumes and sets are incredible. I can only imagine the amount of time and effort that went into all of the designs! 

As I was sitting in the theater waiting for the show to start, I thought about how refreshing it is to see and enjoy something that originated in 1892 . The theater was packed with small children to grandparents. It was a few hours enjoying something that didn't involve cell phones or the internet or a screen of any kind, and to me, that made it all the better.

This may sound weird, but I also thought about Tchaikovsky and how he probably never thought that crowds would be gathering in 2015 all over the world to hear what he had composed. Pretty incredible if you ask me! 


Are you seeing the Nutcracker this year? Scroll through above to see some of my favorite dress options for the occasion! Do you do anything special to get yourself in the holiday spirit? Have a fabulous day! 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh my! What a stunning dress & background!! Love this post.

xx Kathryn
www.chicandshimmer.com

 

© Summer Wind Blog 2017 / site design by kiki and co. / disclosure