Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Lent: the 40 day challenge

If you are a practicing Christian, then for you, the 40-day period of Lent has started. I usually don't give anything up for Lent... I've tried in the past to give up Diet Coke and in high school I always tried to give up sweets and chocolates, but let me tell you, it never works for me!
This year, I have decided to give up shopping. For me, this is HUGE. This will be the challenge of all challenges. But you know what, I figure 40 days is not that long. It's not even 2 months!! My terms are strict. No shopping means not even purchasing a new Essie color at Target. Of course, if I need to buy a gift of some sort, that won't count. But I am literally not going to buy a single thing. I am doing this because I want to test myself and because I don't need a single thing. I love shopping and I love finding great deals... I think this will be hardest when something fun comes up on RueLaLa or Gilt... I will have to restrain myself. 

I wanted to post about this because now that Summer Wind readers know I am doing this, you can hold me accountable. No shopping until Easter (which is March 31st)!!!!

Do you think I can do it?! Are you giving something up for lent? I always think that instead of giving something up for lent, doing something nice for someone for the 40 days is a great idea. Whether it is just holding the door open or paying for someone's coffee at Starbucks, there is always something small you can do to brighten someone's day! Wish me luck, I'm going to need it!!! Have a fabulous day! 
Yours, 
sCe

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Good for you, girl! Lent is a wonderful challenge and remembrance of why we celebrate our Savior and what He endured for us. Keep pushing!!!

XOXO-Lydia
preppychictheblog.blogspot.com

JoJo Reilly said...

I am still deciding what to give up for Lent, I would LOVE to give up shopping but I have to purchase dresses for bridal activities...but I think giving up shopping would be a good challenge for me! Good luck!! xoxo JoJo

Catherine said...

Good for you! I hope you follow through, and I know you can! I've decided to give up a certain website.

Lindsey said...

I did the same thing last year and I'm trying it again this year! We'll have to hold each other accountable!

Just Jess said...

I am giving up shopping as well! Here is to accountablity!

Kelly said...

This is really admirable and inspiring. I will definitely give it a try this year as well. Best of luck and I hope this post inspires more people as well!!

prince snow farm said...

Go for it! I gave up chips...a very big weakness...

Unknown said...

I am SO doing this! I am SUCH a shopaholic. I bout 3 pairs of shoes last week and I had no space to even store them! I usually don't do lent but this year you gave me an idea I can't resist! :)

SHF said...

Good luck with your Lenten challenge! I gve up drinking soda this year. Last year I just gave up Diet Coke (which was tough enough as it was), so this year I'm trying to be soda-free for forty days!

SHF
thechroniclesofs.blogspot.com

Portuguese Prepster said...

I really should do this with your but I literally don't think I can! I'm going to attempt to give up diet coke and maybe reduce my shopping? Even that's a maybe haha!

Ametis Bassir said...

Good for you! Wishing you the best of luck with your challenge! :)

AKB
http://asouthernbrunette.blogspot.com

Tier @ The Preppy Leoard said...

My denomination doesn't do Lent, but I have been trying to do better with my shopping! I was looking at my bills the other day and felt a little ashamed at how easily I spent money. I'm not in serious debt or anything, but I've purposed to try to not buy anything I don't need. (So, if I need some new toothpaste, okay. But only toothpaste and no new lipstick with it.) My old rule was that as long as I was giving at least 15% of my income to the Lord, I was fine, but I still think I spend way too frivolously.

PS, I'm glad you found me on Instagram! I can't believe I wasn't already following you!

Emily said...

I'm a "practicing" Christian and my denomination (Southern Baptist) doesn't participate in Lent either. However, I appreciate and respect the idea of it all and wish you the best of luck - it's going to be a hard few weeks!

xx Emily

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Oh my goodness! Good luck! I gave up watching reality tv! Which is going to be hard. I feel like it's just mindless info that doesn't need to be in my life.

 

© Summer Wind Blog 2017 / site design by kiki and co. / disclosure