Monday, July 23, 2012

Simply Chic

In the midst of arm parties, pops of color, statement necklaces, boyfriend watches and all of the other "trends of the moment", I find a breath of fresh air looking back on vintage photos of women such as C.Z. Guest, Jackie O, Audrey Hepburn, Grace Kelly, Elizabeth Montgomery etc. 
 
The above photo is one that I found on Tumblr and I knew I had to do a post on how chic this look is. Take a day off from your arm parties and bright handbags and instead, showcase your own true beauty instead of your clothes and accessories. I occasionally opt for this simple look, but even for me, it has become more and more obsolete. My favorite neutral, simple outfit is a white Ralph Lauren oxford and J. Crew's cafe capri  in a neutral shade such as black, navy or khaki (Note to self: I really need a pair of khaki cafe capris!). As for shoes, I go with simple, un-embellished ballet flats or loafers and a simple watch or monogram ring. 

This is one of my favorite pictures of Grace Kelly. Ever. Her pearls are classic, her black dress understated and the headband pulls the hair out of her face. This outfit shows off her true beauty. 

This is one of my favorites of Jackie O. She looks stunning in the dark turtleneck and understated, classic watch. Taking the focus off of her style and accessories really helps to show off her natural beauty.
 
This is another Tumblr picture and again, so simple but so chic. I love the windblown hair, no jewelry, and simple navy and white color scheme. Very nautical and classic! I have both the striped classic boatneck top and the navy shorts so this will be very easy to recreate!

So my goal is now to recreate these simple, understated looks. I will post them in an OOTD post coming soon. What do you think of the simple look? Do you sport it? Have a fabulous day!
Yours, 
sCe

7 comments:

Portuguese Prepster said...

I love simple looks. Sometimes when something is bothering me about my outfit, I find that removing a few accessories always helps!

how i met your father blog said...

i love these simple looks! my favorite fall look is dark denim, black turtle neck, and leopard print ballet flats.

wearing this outfit always makes me appreciate my baubles the next time i put them on!

Elle said...

Lovely pictures. I agree, simple, classic looks can be so much more attractive than current trends.

Anonymous said...

Dear sCe,

I really enjoyed this post! I've found that as I make my way through my 20s, my style is really changing under the notion that less is more. I wear less makeup than I did in college, wear more simple and timeless accessories, and subsequently feel more comfortable and beautiful in my own skin (as corn as that sounds!). Like Da Vinci said, simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Sometimes lots of pretty accessories just amount to clutter.

Wishing you a great summer. XO

Denise said...

A timely post! I was just thinking the same thing. I bounce back and forth between preppy bright colors and preppy minimalist style. I even created an "ideal" minimalist wardrobe Polyvore collection that's got lots of prep to it:
http://www.polyvore.com/minimalist_wardrobe/collection?id=1489053

Glitterista said...

I've always loved that picture of Jackie. I love the look and feel of a crisp white shirt with jeans.

Francesca Acciardo said...

Ahh!! I LOVED this post!

xoxo, Frannie
theblondeprep.blogspot.com

 

© Summer Wind Blog 2017 / site design by kiki and co. / disclosure